Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Harley-Davidson, Jerk This

So I'm kicking it on the patio this morning, reading the paper, drinking some really good coffee. The mornings in southern California are starting to get crisp. Typical for this time of year. I'm reading the L.A. Times and I'm in the business section. Since we are heavily invested, I usually like to see how poorly my wife's company's stock is performing. Once again, I'm not disappointed.

Just as I'm about to shred the paper to bits over the lackluster performance of our holdings I notice a small, two column article:

Harley-Davidson Teams With ConAgra on Line of Beef Jerky
The article by Associated Press goes on to read,
"Harley-Davidson Inc is selling a new source of fuel, one that goes into mouths instead of gas tanks and comes in flavors including teriyaki and pepper....."

Now I'm not that knowledgable with Harley in such detail that I know that they have, in the past, tried to market such food stuffs as barbecue sauce and spices. But sure enough they have. Unfortunately, according to Harley spokesman Tom Parsons, "Nothing ever fit with the brand and it's image like jerky".

Why does that strike me as the funniest thing I've heard in some time? My local Harley dealership offers everything except baby powder that has the bar and shield logo on it. And to be honest, after some long rides this past summer, I wish they offered that as well for my sweaty buns.

But beef jerky? I can almost see Willie G cruising the streets of Milwaukee on his Ultra-Glide with a giant knot of jerky hanging out of his mouth.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Harley-Davidson. I think they are one of the greatest American success stories of the 20th century and I am in awe of their level of branding. I love their bikes and I love the lifestyle they promote. So I say, go for it. Name any other motor company where you can walk out of a dealership with coffee, playing cards, baby clothes and now jerky all branded with their logo on them.

I'm hoping for some Harley branded toothpaste or something though. I wouldn't want bits of Harley beef jerky stuck in my teeth when I'm trying to impress the ladies.

The whole AP story can be read here:
Harley-Davidson Teams with ConAgra on Beef Jerky

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Harley is now entering the monster league, joining the ranks of Coca-Cola and McDonald's. Well good for them. It should encourage them to know that my 6 and 8 year old know the sound of a Harley without evening turning their heads; driving down the road they shout in unison, "Harley!" So now I have to be aware of Harleyness in the supermarkets too? Are they going to start posting signs "No Harley Jerky on this check-out aisle" like they do for their candy brethen? Unbelievable. Harley - take comfort knowing that the next generation will probably be an even larger target group.

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forget baby powder, try Anti Monket Butt powder. Despite the funny name the stuff is a God send on a hot day in the saddle ;)

http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/

~ Tink

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home