Saturday, October 14, 2006

Am I A Biker or a RUB?

Ya know, ever since I was in high school I wanted a motorcycle. And to me, ever since I was in high school, that meant a Harley. Forget the fact that while I was in high school, Harley-Davidson was owned by a bowling ball company, I just always knew I wanted a Harley. Now keep in mind that I grew up in a squarely middle-class, suburban, conservative household. Bikers and the motorcycle culture were viewed with, well, not disdain but certainly were not held up in the highest regard. My own personal lifestyle and life experiences though, led me to people that were quite the opposite from my family and I was constantly around a fringe element.

I guess some people who have owned bikes all their lives just had the attitude of "Fuck it...I don't care if I can barely afford it, I need my bike. It is what I am." Whether it was a new ride that they had to make payments on or an old beat up piece of shit that constantly cost them money to fix, these guys and gals were of a certain breed. I always admired it. Me? Well, I was always the one who was waiting until I could afford one. As we all know, that day sometimes never comes.

For me though, the day did come a couple of years ago. Even though it was a bit of a stretch, my wife and I were finally able to get our Harley. If it had been up to me it wouldn't have happened. But, God love her, my lady put her foot down and said she was tired of seeing me pissed off every time someone on a bike flew by us or one of our friends said they were going on a ride. So at the comfortable age of 48, and with at least a few comforts that come with that age and steady employment, I became "a biker".

Or did I? Some people have said, if ya ride, you're a biker. Others say, no, you're not a biker because you haven't paid your dues as one. You're nothing but a RUB. RUB of course being the insulting acronym for Rich Urban Biker.

Well, even if I was rich, and urban and owned a bike, I guess that would still make me a biker of sorts wouldn't it?

And while we're on it, if the term RUB is meant as an insult, shouldn't it be RSB?? As in Rich Suburban Biker? I mean urban brings up images of Brooklyn, Chicago, Detroit, Oakland and other tough, gritty cities. So let's at least get that straight huh?

So what am I? I'm not definitely not rich, I live in a "suburb" of Los Angeles but am still in the maw of 15 million people surrounding me in Southern California, but I own a bike. I despise labels. If owning a bike and enjoying it more than any other material possesion I've ever had, and riding it over 10,000 miles in one year makes me a "biker" than I'm a biker. If the fact that I didn't have the opportunity to own one until later in life makes me a RUB, so be it.

Either way, the sun is breaking through the clouds today, it's in the mid 60's and I'm getting on my bike. When I pass another biker on the road, he or she will wave. If I stop at the local watering hole for a beer later in the day and start chatting it up with the others that are there, we might not know if we're talking to a lawyer, a cop, a warehouse worker or a parolee. But what we will know is that we rode in on a bike. And that is the common bond.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i own two harleys. i've also had a couple of metrics, even a (gasp) goldwing for a year. i still own a metrc. i have bikes for the pure enjoyment of riding, wrenching and modding. certainly the definition of 'biker' has nothing to do with the brand of bike you ride. if it does, than i am not a biker and don't care to be. yes, this is a harley blog, but i hope its not full of harley snobs.
as far as labels, i don't care if you ride everyday cause your bike is your only transportation, or you only saddle up on sunday to the local bar. keep your bike safe, and don't put yourself or others in harms way - you're ok with me.

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, you are a RUB. Bikers are a rare breed, Harley riders are a dime a dozen.

A real biker would have picked up something sooner in their price range, Harley or not. Why did you "want" the Harley? The sound? The image? The T-shirts? The bar & shield logo on everything under the sun?

Maybe the "lifestyle"? Apparently it's the Harley lifestyle, not the biker lifestyle. They are two very different things.

$15K & 15 miles don't make you a biker. That goes for Harley, Metric, or European.

And yes...I have 4 scoots...three are Metrics, one with a sidecar, and one HD. The "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand" and "Life begins when you get one" lines are B.S.!!

Ride Safe, Ride Often.

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Based on the number of miles you're putting on your ride you are well on your way to truly becoming a biker.

I've been riding since I was 13 (almost 30 years now). There were many times in my life that my bike was my only mode of transportation. If I could only afford one vehicle, it was going to be a bike.

I ride my bike to work, to church, when traveling, virtually every day. I ride all year long and only ice and snow will keep me off the roads.

I consider myself a biker. It is not a hobby, pastime or weekend amusement. Riding is a way of life.

The people that some disparagingly call "RUB" or whatnot are the hobbyists. They ride because it is cool and you won't see them out when it is raining, cold, hot, windy etc. They put their biker costumes on and ride on the weekends...as long as they don't have anything important to do.

Based on sheer mileage, It sounds like you are learning the way of life.

By the way, I've never ridden a Harley. Mostly Hondas but a couple of Kawasakis and Yamahas too. My baby is a 2000 Honda Valkyrie Interstate.

Why don't I ride a Harley? Because I don't make enough money to be impractical. I can get twice the bike for half the money with a metric. Oh...and my Honda was built in a plant in Ohio whereas a good portion of every Harley is contracted to European or Japanese companies..."buy American" hasn't really meant anything for 30 years.

But even so, would I love to have a Harley? Of course...I'm not immune to the mystique and image. But if I can't afford as much bike as I want with "Harley Davidson" on the side, I'll get the bike I want with "Honda" on the side instead. What makes it a bike is the number of wheels, not the name on the gas tank.

With all that said, I'm just trying to explain how I feel about it, I'm not trying to disparage the hobby riders. They ride so they're OK by me.

But when it's pouring down rain and 34 degrees out and you see that one lone idiot out riding a big red bike with bags strapped all over it like he's been traveling for a month...that would be me. And I'll have the same stupid grin on my face as I would were it 75 and the sun shining.

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rub, squid, whatever, what everyone else thinks doesn't matter, just yourself. I've had four bikes since about 1973, including two Harleys. My latest is the 07 Road King. I love to ride and average well over a thousand miles a month with this bike.
On the other hand there were decades where I raised kids, and put in a hard and substantial career, but didn't ride. I read mags and waited and wished. As far as I was concerned I still was a biker.
It comes from inside. We do what we can. If you love to ride and do it when life allows, you are a biker. You may also be a father, a husband, a prosecuting attorney, cop, garbage man, soldier, or wherever life took you. It's being real and being responsible.
As for Harleys, again it's up to you. Lots of great rides out there. But for me it is the Harley. I don't have to explain, it's what I wanted and it's my money.

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stumbled in here looking for the definition of RUB, or now as you put it, maybe RSB! Thanks for enlightening me. Ya don't sound like no RUB to me. The term 'biker' in itself may be a derogatory term, unless used by another biker (doesn't that sound familiar?). Anyway, being a biker is an attitude and lifestyle. If your life basically revolves around your bike, you're a biker. Doesn't matter what you ride, though there's those who'll disagree with that comment. If it's just something you only drag out on the nice weekends and you pickup your riding apparel at the drycleaners, well......!

PS Congrats on finding a good woman.

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why is that most people on here talk about their hondas and yamahas? Isn't this harley blog? Kind of hard to call someone a RUB when you ride a japanese made motorcycle and come to HARLEY BLOG.

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude...Being a 'biker' comes from the inside. If you find yourself inexplicably cringing at the mere thought of ending up just like 'them' ( plain jane citizen types working and toilin their whole lives away for....nothing" then that is indicative of a deeper stirring somewhere in the pit of your soul. If you feel an un-utterable connection with the cowboys and the free thinkers of the past(ok, i might be accused of blatant romanticizing here) then that is indicative of something stirring. As for me riding my Harley is the closest i'll get to kissing God on the lips. Your subscriptioj to the emotional bond betrween you and your bike-thats what makes you a 'biker'..hope i made sense...keep the faith,brother..
-SingSing
NYC

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell you what bra'....Ride just to ride, keep the rubber side down, and dont try to me something your not. Im only 30 and just bought my 1st Harley last week. I have had a bike in some form or another since I was 18 (all croch rockets). The worst people to deal with were the ones that walked around looking like a village people reject but but would CARE if you thought they looked like a village people reject. Dont worry about what other people think. No REAL "Biker" would ever give you crap about being a "RUB" unless you were walking around like Jonny badass or you were barking up the wrong tree. Take it easy and have fun.

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since your wrote and essay about it, yes, you are a RUB.

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home