Monday, November 05, 2007

Penny Lane Centers Charity Poker Run

November 4th was the 2nd annual Penny Lane Poker run held in the Antelope Valley area of Los Angeles county. Penny Lane is a non-profit organization headquartered in North Hills, CA with other services in the Antelope Valley and City of Commerce. Their mission is to help neglected and abused children with educational, housing and mental health services among other things.

Seeing that this was only the 2nd run, I figured it would be somewhat small and wasn't sure I wanted to go. I knew a couple friends were going and had met some new friends online that were helping with the organization but with the big Pats/Colts game on tv Sunday I wasn't too big on riding and missing the game. Not that I even cared who won, I just thought it would be a good game to watch.

But with the weather being absolutely beautiful with warm sunny skies and since it was for a good cause I decided to ride out the 40 miles to where the run started.
As it turned out, it was a great day, fantastic riding out in the desert which I'm usually not too big on, and the last stop of the run had some good food and drinks at a local hang out called The Trap in Lancaster, CA. I would assume that the turn out wasn't quite what the organizers had hoped for but the folks that did show up were a great crowd. Definitely a good mix of down to earth people including a few members of a well known motorcycle club. Everyone seemed to be enjoying the day.

At the urging of a new friend who was helping run the prize allocation, I bought more raffle tickets than I usually do but was more than happy to give some cash to Penny Lane (and if you're wondering, yes, it was named after the Beatles song).
Well, as usual, I won zilch in the raffle, got a crappy hand on the poker run and other than a t shirt I gave to my wife, won nothing.

Harley Davidson Blog

My riding buddy Ken however seemed to have some kind of biker karma working for him and won 4 seperate times. Nice stuff including a crazy gift basket that contained a 12 pack of beer, jerky, nuts, chips etc. How the hell he got that stuff home I do not know but I'm sure he's enjoying it.

Harley Davidson Blog

But it was a great day and as I said, Penny Lane is a great cause for some underpriveleged kids in the LA county area. A lot of poker runs can get huge. In fact, next weekend is the monster Love Ride in LA. In comparison to the couple hundred folks who showed up for this run, the Love Ride has grown to an enormous rider count of about 25,000. When it gets that big, you never really know where all that money is goingr and you can sometimes forget what you were riding for in the first place. The gals who ran the Penny Lane ride made sure we were both entertained and also reminded us of why we were riding.



If you have a minute, check out their website at Penny Lane

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home