Thursday, July 12, 2007

Loud Pipes - Here We Go Again

I noticed a repsonse on the blog by someone who claims to be a cop and how he enjoys giving out tickets to bikers that have loud pipes. Rather than replying directly to him (which someone did already anyway and definitely spanked the shit out of him), I started doing some thinking about certain laws that are already on the books and those that are being proposed.

I don't claim to know jack about law but if a city or any government entity has a law regarding the noise levels, wouldn't it have to apply to ALL causes of noise? If my motorcycle's exhaust system exceeds a certain decible level and the kid in the car next to me has a stereo system that exceeds that same level, who's getting the ticket? Is the cop going to pull us both over? Somehow I'm doubting that.

And if me, the biker gets the ticket, doesn't it stand to reason that there is some kind of selective enforcement here?

I guess what I'm thinking is: If any city has these laws on the books, wouldn't it be easy for a motorcycle group to challenge that law on the basis of it's inherent unfairness? I mean, you can't say only CERTAIN types of noise makers can be cited, it has to apply to all types of causes of noise doesn't it?

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Groups are trying to fight those laws. One of the biggest groups fighting it is the AMA. I've tried to financially support them through my membership and extra donations when I can afford it... I think it's a bunch of bull. If a car can have loud exhaust, then so can a bike.

I'm not a fan of the reason 'Loud bikes save lives' because frankly, it won't. I am a fan of loud bikes because it's so damn cool!

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home