Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Why do people trailer their bikes?

Okay, I am hardly the veteran rider or young rider who seems to have no problem cruising on the interstate at 80 mph for 4 hours, without a windshield, and holding on to ape hangers with one hand looking relaxed as can be. How the hell do they do it? For me, it is a lower back issue. Having had surgery about 15 years ago to remove a disk that had ruptured from weight lifting, there's not much that really bothers it but for some reason, long rides without the windshield take a toll.

But what I cannot fathom is going to an event like the Laughlin run and trailering one or more bikes. Listen, if I made the trek to Sturgis, I can see where you might want to. But I'm talking about people that live in southern California, about 250 miles from Laughlin who trailered their bikes.

Going out on Thursday we saw tons but coming back on Sunday, along with the freeway being down to one lane due to construction, the staggering number of people who had one, two and sometimes four bikes in the trailer was mindblowing.

And I'm not talking all custom choppers where at least you could make an argument for it. I'm talking about softails and touring bikes. I hate to use the phrase as I've been accused myself but RUB comes to mind. I mean, come on now....how bad can it be folks??? Just get on your bike and ride it!

The most amazing sight we saw though was this: Nice big pickup truck with a trailer attached to it and in the trailer was a monster HD Classic...WITH A SIDECAR! They've basically got a Cadillac on wheels along with a Barcalounger attached to it but they couldn't ride it out. That was quite the sight.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya, long rides without a fairing can really take a toll. I've put in enough of those long miles over the past 12 yrs. to know what you're talking about---but you're a hero for keeping it up with a bad back!

Right on.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

When I had a Vulcan 500, it didn't have a windshield, and I constantly went on all day (12 - 18 hour) rides on the freeway. The worst part of it was the back ache and the sore arms when we were done. That vulcan had a pretty upright riding position. Since them, I've had an exploded disc in my back. No surgery, but some days it just kills me. I still ride through it though. I've learned that there are certain positions you can move yourself into that will put less strain on your back... The new (well used and over 20 years old) bike has a windshield and fairing though. It's much easier to put in a 15 hour day for a week straight.

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you! I've been riding for roughly 12 years, and ride almost everyday reguardless of weather. I've owned a few different bikes over the years. My first was a 360 honda.. not a bad ride but not great either Drum brakes, age, and lack of power left me wanting something more modern. Then I bought a GL500 which I still own for bad weather days. Pnumatic shocks and a bit better seat made trips on this one better, but it still makes the rump sore after a few hours, I still have made several trips up and down the pig trail leaving from springfield MO to Shreveport and have logged of 80K on the bike. A week ago I bought my first BIG bike. an HD electra glide ultra classic. After picking up this bike I can honestly say there isn't a good excuse not to get on it. My wife and I 2 days after we got it decided to go on an easy break in trip up to springfield. When we stopped for lunch,gas, and a restroom break in Hot Springs I didn't even feel the saddle soreness beggining to set in, and my wife new for the most part of riding with me due to a lack of room on my GL was peachy. Fast forwarding to our arrival in springfield after a spectacular trip neither of us were tired or sore. We still had energy to go out with friends in the area and stay up for a while. Again fast forwarding to our trip back we ran through some rainy spots south of branson and in the boston mountains. The fairings on the hog kept us both mostly dry. the lower fairings keep the water off the shins, and the big one and its windshield really do their job. I slowed for the curves a touch through N ARK, and my wife and I both felt comfortable enough to push through the bad weather. So here we are cruising down the highway radio blairing, bike purring and rain splatting comfy as can be making a touch over 500 miles each day. When we got back we took our HD to the shop for its 1000K checkup on the new bike. I'm getting ready to park it for 4 months unfortunatly as I have to deploy to the persian gulf, however when I get back we're picking up a 1200 sporty low for her, and heading to North Dakota for... well one of the biggest bike events ever...lol, I agree riding can become uncomfortable after several hours, but if you have a big touring bike and you trailer it, others like me will look at you thinking its a shame all that money, comfort vested in the bike, and you in your car/truck. I don't encourage new riders to ride in rain and even some veterans if they don't do it often. Or sleepy for that matter, but if you keep yourself rested, alert, and have a bike that don't catch your rump on fire after about 400 miles then pull it out of the wagon saddle it, and I'll catch up with you at the next gas stop.. maybee we can exchange scenic routes stories or ride together for a bit on our own little adventures in a smaller world than it sometimes seems.

Ride hard all... you never know when you won't be able to anymore.

SrA Huff USAF... (rank and name for my brother's and sisters in arms.. for those figuring math yes I joined later than average at the age of 27)

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home